Beloved of God. Advent is upon us. Amidst the decorating and preparation, we are also reminded that this is a time of waiting. Yet even as we wait for the Christ child to be born again, he waits for us to do our part in the world as his messengers of hope, peace, joy, and love. Our theme this Advent is Angels among us: flying in the face of fear at Advent. Each Sunday we will explore the ways Jesus calls us to be messengers of #MoreHope, #MorePeace, #MoreJoy, and #More Love. And, we encourage you to take a “selfie” framed by the angel wings we have in the narthex and share ways you are flying in the face of fear.
As I was thinking about practical ways to describe how we might be God’s good news for the world, I came across these reminders about what Christianity is all about from Richard Rohr. I know that when I keep them in mind, my responses to people and situations are more likely to be true good news. I hope you find them helpful, and I’d love to hear your thoughts.
- Jesus is a model for living more than an object of worship.
- Affirming people’s potential is more important than reminding them of their brokenness.
- The work of reconciliation should be valued over making judgments.
- Gracious behavior is more important than right belief.
- Inviting questions is more valuable than supplying answers.
- Encouraging the personal search is more important than group uniformity.
- Meeting actual needs is more important than maintaining institutions.
- Peacemaking is more important than power.
- We should care more about love and less about sex.
- Life in this world is more important than the afterlife (eternity is God’s work anyway).Keeping these in mind, where do you see people in need of #MoreHope? How will you be that hope?Yours in Christ